Welcome to my wine blog for Geography of Wine - Spring 2014. I chose to take this class in order to learn more about wine because although my family is not full of wine snobs, it is something that we drink often. I also drink (cheaper) wine with friends, and I think it would be interesting to have knowledge influence my decision of which bottle to pick up, rather than simply choosing the cheapest option at Kroger.
My love for wine is greatly influenced by my mom's parents. My mom's side of the family is from England, and my dad's side is Italian - however, I don't see the Italians as often since they live in New York and my English grandparents live 5 minutes from my home in Richmond, VA. We have had weekly family dinners each Sunday night for as long as I can remember, and wine has always been a staple. I'm not sure when, but I know that my parents allowed me to have small sips of champagne at an early age, sparking my love for fruity, sparkly wines.
When going to the grocery store to choose a bottle of wine to drink (which is about once a week), I tend to stick to Franzia's Crisp White or Barefoot in various whites. I love the taste of Riesling. I am clueless about wine, so I am very excited to learn more about all types and try different types throughout this semester. Specifically, I want to learn about how to distinguish between all types of wine - what sort of flavors each of them have. I think it would be very cool to be able to identify which sort of wine I am drinking without checking out the label by the end of this semester. Additionally, I'm excited to learn which wines should be paired with what foods. I am thrilled to have an excuse to go to many wine tastings, and my family/friends are excited for me to share with them what I learn in this course.
No comments:
Post a Comment