Sunday, April 27, 2014

Tasting: Angove Nine Vines Viognier


Name: Angove Nine Vines
Variety: Viognier
Region: South Australia
Country: Australia
Year: 2009
Price: $15 (Sale: $5.95)

Shop Review: Bright light straw in color with some green hues, this wine has a lush ripe tropical fruit aroma. This is a fuller bodied white which fills the mouth with heady flavors of apricot, peach, and citrus. Angove Nine Vines Viognier is perfect for today's relaxed lifestyle and is the ideal accompaniment to grilled prawns with chili and garlic or roast pork.

Personal Review: This wine smelled just like musty plastic to me, like an old, hot pool float. I also detected hints of cat pee or asparagus on the nose. Its distinct, unique aromas intrigued me to taste it. As I did taste it, I could sense light tannins, which I felt was odd for a white wine. It had metallic flavors as well. It was strongly bitter on the finish, and it felt raspy and rough down my throat. This wine was more bitter and tangy than I preferred.

I tasted this wine on its own without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment