Sunday, April 27, 2014

Tasting: Librandi Ciro Rosso Classico


Name: Librani Ciro Rosso Classico
Variety: Gaglioppo
Region: Ciro
Country: Italy
Year: 2009
Price: $14 (Sale: $7.95)

Shop Review: "Don't let the pale garnet color fool you: this is a substantial wine. Aromas of red fruits and spice complement undertones of cranberries, wild berries, and plums. On the palate, ripe tannins, and good body make for an incredibly rich, yet easy-going red wine. Pair this wine with sausage, spicy curry sauces, hot soppressata, and tandoori chicken."

My Review: This wine had a rare color - it was burnt orange, and it looked like rusted metal or an old copper penny. Its nose had aromas of spiced cherries - the mixture of fruit and spices intrigued me. As I tasted it, it was drier than I would have expected but it packed fruity flavors. I felt that this reflected its nose well. However, I felt that this wine needed food to pair it with and soften its dry palate.

I tasted this wine on its own without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment