Sunday, April 20, 2014

Tasting: Hullabaloo Zinfandel


Name: Hullabaloo
Variety: Zinfandel
Region: Napa Valley, California
Country: U.S.
Year: 2012
Price: $15.95

Winemaker Review: "Since people always ask us about our interesting labels, here is a little bit about Hullabaloo: We chose the classic 19th century strongman icon as we thought it was fitting of the period between 1850-1900 (around the same time Zinfandel was planted and began to flourish in California). The strongman was not only an exhibitor of feats of strength, but his main purpose was also to showcase his great size, boldness, and symmetry - kind of describes old vine Zinfandel doesn't it?"

Personal Review: This wine was musty on the nose, and I felt that it wasn't a typical scent found in wines. I couldn't place a distinct description for its aroma, but it did remind me of metal or mercury. It tasted just like black licorice, with a smoky edge. It also tasted exactly like what I'd expect rusted metal to be like. Its nose complemented the tastes well. I felt that I would have enjoyed this wine better had I paired it with cheese or another food to soften it up.

I tasted this wine on its own, without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment